Понедельник, 25.09.2017
Мой сайт
[ Новые сообщения · Участники · Правила форума · Поиск · RSS ]
Страница 1 из 11
Форум » Здесь нужно писать только на английском - Only English is allowed in this forum » Ask Jack your questions and he will gladly asnwer them all. » You're most welcome to beset me with yours good questions! (And don't you hesitate. Just make the most of this forum.)
You're most welcome to beset me with yours good questions!
JackДата: Пятница, 22.11.2013, 17:03 | Сообщение # 1
Носитель английского - UK
Статус: Offline
Please, follow these simple regs:
Show some decorum, never swear in this forum
Be nice and real polite, treat all other folks right

Hello Russian learners of English,

My name is Jack Leadley. I come from Liverpool that's in the UK. This site's Administrators (Helga and Steffy) are my best overseas friends. It's them who asked me to open this thread. I gladly accepted their offer to help you with your English. So, please, feel free to ask me all kinds of questions you're interested in so you could boost your English way too high.

Сообщение отредактировал Jack - Пятница, 22.11.2013, 17:04

NattieДата: Суббота, 23.11.2013, 13:49 | Сообщение # 2
Staff Sergeant - Старшина
Good afternoon Jack,

It's most great you decided to help us Russian learners have a chance to deal with a native. I have a question to ask...

Is it correct to say that "My brother is now on the top of the tower."? Sometimes, I confuse these: at the top of - on the top of - on top of (a tower).

Please, correct me so I could know and use for sure. Thanks in advance!

JackДата: Среда, 27.11.2013, 20:36 | Сообщение # 3
Hi Nattie. How's life treating you out there in Russia? My TV says you're having first frosty days in Moscow, huh? I hope you've got a lovely and warm fur coat to keep you real warm.

Now about your little confusion: at the top of the tower is fine, and it means that someone is at the upper part of a tower, but never on the very top of it. If someone or rather something (like a flag, for example) is at the very top, we say that a thing is on top of the tower = on the tower top.

I hope I could help your little problem.

NattieДата: Четверг, 28.11.2013, 16:18 | Сообщение # 4
Staff Sergeant - Старшина
Thanks a lot, Jack, for your help. biggrin I'll do my best to use these two similar expressions correctly.

ritaborДата: Пятница, 29.11.2013, 12:10 | Сообщение # 5
Captain - Капитан
Hello Jack,
What's the difference between 'other' and 'another'? I feel totally confused sometimes wacko

HelgaДата: Воскресенье, 01.12.2013, 18:28 | Сообщение # 6
Field Marshal - Маршал
Hi, Ritabor! Jack seems to be away, so if you don't mind, I'll try to give you a clue.

These words refer to something different, remaining or additional. They are placed before the noun. Another is used with singular nouns, other with singular or plural.
(The) Other/others is used when there are only two things (or groups of things or people) in question.
Ex. She keeps two cats. One is grey and the other is black.
He has a hard time getting along with other people.

Another expresses quantity, something extra or additional in case three or more choices are possible or implied. It may stand for "one more", "additional".
Ex. Can I have another slice of pie?

Some other and another are synonymous.

JackДата: Пятница, 06.12.2013, 01:13 | Сообщение # 7
Helda dear, I love your desire to side with me in helping your fellow creatures!

I'm a little late, huh? So it appears I've got nothing to add to your explicit post as regards to  other(s) and another. Well done, really!

Форум » Здесь нужно писать только на английском - Only English is allowed in this forum » Ask Jack your questions and he will gladly asnwer them all. » You're most welcome to beset me with yours good questions! (And don't you hesitate. Just make the most of this forum.)
Страница 1 из 11
Поиск:

Copyright MyCorp © 2017
Бесплатный хостинг uCoz